The top 5 wonders of the marine world are biggest, heaviest & most advanced marvels of marine engineering. Ships have always fascinated me because its not just marine engineering you need to know about, I’ll explain why !
Lets consider that you want to build a cruise ship, so you need to know about-
- Marine engineering – since it needs to float & not sink !
- Mechanical engineering – because you need to propel & balance the ship !
- Civil engineering – because you need to design mall, shops & rooms for thousands of people who travel for days !
- Electrical engineering – because not only you need to generate power for propelling but produce electricity & supply it to whole ship !
- Computer/Information technology – to run all the softwares, autopilot & mechatronic systems !
- Telecommunication engineering – nobody wants to get stuck into middle of ocean so you always need to be in contact with other pilots & guys sitting on the shore !
This is the reason, they’ve always fascinated me ! Alright, enough of explanation, lets get on with the list !
Top 5 Wonders of the Marine world are –
1. Harmony of the seas
Harmony of the Seas is the biggest cruise ship ever built, surpassing her older sisters- Oasis of the Seas & Allure of the Seas !
She has got 10 story tall enclosed slides, 4 swimming pools, 10 bath tubs including 2 cantilevered over the edge of ship, 2 surf simulators, casino, mini golf course, basketball court, Starbucks, shopping mall, a park & lots of other stuff which you probably don’t even have in your locality. This is a whole city… & it floats ! The crew itself is of 2300 members !
Length – 362.12 m
Decks – 18
Max. speed – 46 kmph
Passenger capacity – 5500 to 6500
2.OCCL Hong Kong
Oh yeah, OCCL Hong Kong is the largest cargo ship built yet ! Built at the Samsung Heavy industries, it has a carrying capacity of 21,413 TEUs, being the first one to cross the 21000 mark (TEU is Twenty foot equivalent unit, an inexact way to indicate 1 twenty feet long container). It is powered by Wärtsilä-Sulzer RTA96-C, the biggest engine in the world producing more than 80,000 kW of power !
Length – 399.87 m
Carrying capacity – 197,317 tons
Max. speed – 40 kmph