In this article, we will be talking in reference to vehicles and their sagging issues. Although, I guess even human beings can use a little support for their rears as well. But, I digress. Vehicles especially campers, trucks, and trailers can all be ruined due to overloading your vehicle in the back. This is something that any owner of a vehicle must be aware of when deciding to haul something that exceeds the weight limits, be it passengers 😛
Torklift International outlined how to stop truck sagging when hitting the open road. When carrying a heavy load, there are several things that are going on underneath your vehicle that you may not be aware of and the damage that it is causing.
Effects of overloading your vehicle –
1. The proper front end steering is being thrown off balance and will lead to an uneven, uncomfortable driving condition. Because of the weight in the back, the car will have a delayed steering response which will make the driver feel like they are driving out of control. If you’ve ever driven a vehicle and felt like you didn’t have control, you know how scary that is.
2. Also braking distance becomes problematic and not balanced because most of the braking will need to occur up front. Heavier the vehicle, more the momentum and kinetic energy of the vehicle will be. This decreases the vehicle’s ability to stop quickly and will cause a wear and tear on the brakes as well as on tires that could have lasting negative effects.
3. Because of the increased weight in the back, the front of vehicle will be elevated slightly causing issues with the headlights. They will be lighting higher up than they should causing a major hazard on the road!
4. There will be an increased wear on the tires and a strain on the fuel causing financial issues in the future. Drivers will need to be filling up their vehicles more often and will be needing to replace tires on a more frequent basis. Both of which, over time, is an expensive addition to the vehicle.
5. Sometimes when you overload your vehicle you just start things piling up. This raises the centre of gravity of the vehicle above the ground. This increases the chances of rolling at high speed and sharp turns.
It would be wise, however, to check out supersprings self leveling suspension as a possible method to help alleviate a lot of the stress and strain that comes with carrying a heavy load in the rear. The extra spring produces added support in the rear to help prevent the vehicle from sagging. It contains rollers and shackles that to produce full time support allowing stable riding, safety, and comfort. YouTube videos and how to guides are available to help with the installation of this product.
Owning a vehicle can require a lot of work and could be a costly investment. But, there are plenty of ways that owners can help to get ahead of any potential problems. Before going out and spending a lot of money at the auto shop, see what help is available to you and you yourself could troubleshoot problems. Here are some DIY tips to help maintain your own vehicle and save tons of money!
And, it is always nice to know that there are ways to keep that rear up and firm. And yes, we are still talking about vehicles!