Here we bring yet another project for mechanical engineers – Design and Fabrication of solenoid engine.
What is Solenoid engine?
In simple words, a solenoid engine is a type of engine in which the pistons move back & forth on the principle of electro-magnetism, passing electricity through a coil(solenoid).
Solenoids are coils of wire that, when electric current is connected, make a magnetic field that applies a force over a metallic element. Solenoids help convert electrical energy to activity in a linear motion for applications that require quick activity.
It is an electromagnetic device which moves the plunger as per the coil magnetism and no pollution into the atmosphere. Whenever current is supplied through a conductor, a magnetic field is set up in the surrounding region and it works like an electromagnet. The electromagnetic force depends upon the current flowing through coil and number of turns that wound on coil. So the basic idea is to run the engine on magnetic attraction and repel principle.
They are basic, economical and pack a lot of intensity into a small structure factor. Since their power is corresponding to the situation of their moving components, they work best for short distances, making them perfect for valves, interlocks, electromechanical transfers, etc.
Since solenoid engines don’t consume any fossil fuels, they are environment friendly & do not pollute much unlike the internal combustion engines. Coil magnetism is used to attract the plunger. Here, spark distributor is used to actuate electromagnet according to position of piston in cylinder rather than sensors and microcontroller.
Plan for completion of project:
- Collections design formulae for calculation of force generating by solenoid coil
- Selection of coil wire gauge, number of turns, coil length, solenoid coil inner diameter, coil outer diameter.
- Selection of iron core diameter, iron core length.
- Selection of suitable mechanism to convert reciprocating motion of solenoid into rotary motion.
- Selection of flywheel to store energy during power stroke and maintain uniform torque and speed
Parts in the Solenoid engine project –
- Wooden blocks
- Solenoid(Iron core & copper wiring)
- Metal disc as Crank
- Connecting rod
- Metal disc as Flywheel
- Copper contact points
Want more projects?